Monday, February 6, 2012

Expédition Polaire!


I saw the above billboard in a Métro stop during my November visit and quickly snapped a (poor) shot before the doors closed.  I even knew the station location but the billboard had been replaced before I could return for a better photo.

In January, Holly pointed it out on the side of a bus pulling away from the curb and I hastily "clicked."  If you have ever seen the fountains of Versailles you would understand the amazement of the snow and ice on this scene.  The Apollo fountain depicts Apollo the conqueror on his chariot pulled by four horses representing force and ardour.  He is getting out of the water among sea monsters to enlighten the Earth as he represents the rising Sun.  In Versailles all the statues of Apollo represent Louis XIV, the sun king.

This is the Apollo Fountain on a July day many years ago for contrast

To my Paris friends, take many snow photos to share with me. 
Wish I was there to see the snow again
 and would just die to see the Apollo Fountain in snow and ice!


Le Château de Versailles
78000 Versailles, France

21 comments:

Sylvia K said...

I love the Apollo Fountain and what lovely memories your captures bring! Thank you, as always, for the beauty of Paris that you share with us, Genie! Have a wonderful week!

Hugs
Sylvia

Rob-bear said...

And here I thought your post was going to be a story about the northern part of New France — perhaps about Cartier or Champlain. Sigh. Not the case.

Instead, the four horses of the fountain. With Apollo. Well, better than the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

Blessings and Bear hugs.

French Girl in Seattle said...

I must admit that is quite the sight: Versailles caught in the ice! Think of all those photo opportunities, Genie ;-) Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

Malyss said...

Wonderful sight! What I saw on tv news this morning confirms that Paris looks a little like Sberia today! :o)

Chrissa said...

I just want to say that I absolutely love your blog!! My dream is to one day visit Paris so in the meantime I make do with devouring the great pics you take and keep dreaming...:)

Pat said...

Dramatic view of these powerful horses (statue/fountain!)

Janey and Co. said...

Hear that? It's my teeth chattering!

M said...

Incroyable! Paris et très froid! But I would gladly brave the cold to see it in snow! Thank you for the photo of the poster. Happy chilly Monday stateside!

Virginia said...

That fountain might lure me to Versailles yet! Great billboard. Gorgeous.
V

PeterParis said...

I have a few on my post today..., but so far the snow lasted only (almost) a day.

I guess the billboard photo may have been taken when you and Holly were here a bit more than a year ago! ... to bad you missed Versailles then! :-)

Alexa said...

Good for you for capturing that billboard shot. The Apollo fountain looks amazing in the snow!

Harriet said...

What a great post today!

Vær våken said...

Lovely!!! Hope you have a beautiful day!

Kristin♥

Erika said...

All Europe is under the snow. I like very much "this" Apollo Fountain.
Ciao from Italy.
Erika

Jack said...

The world is upside down this week. Snow all over France (except for Nice). I like the billboard photo you got.

Randy said...

Stunning shot! That would be something to see.

Palomasea said...

Salut chere Genie!

You know, I was there in February one year, and not a snowflake in sight!
I bet Paris is gorgeous covered in fresh, white snow! (Gorgeous anytime, of course!)
Bises,
- Irina

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Peter is correct that this photo was taken in December 2010 during an incredible snow accumulation in Paris... Holly and I were there but did not get to this gorgeous setting in Versailles. I cannot imagine how cold, slippery, etc it would have been, but totally worth the misery to capture this shot. Bravo to the photographer (unknown).

Stay warm, all my friends in Paris! brrrrr....

Bises,
Genie

Vreni said...

There must be a very special atmosphere in the gardens of Versailles in winter, especially with snow. In Vienna it´s snowing since yesterday evening.

Starman said...

Snow and ice are not worth dying for.

jennyfreckles said...

What a spectacular photo. I'm not familiar with the fountain but I'd love to visit Versailles.