Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Rue Mouffetard, timeless...


Rue Mouffetard is a familiar sight, but the absence of diners and des flaneurs is a bit unusual.  The gentleman's trenchcoat and hat is reminiscent of a past era.  Certaintly, the scenery has not changed much along this street in the past fifty years.  I think that the blackboards with the handwritten menus are the same although the food offerings have been updated to keep up with current tastes? 
What do you think?  In this area of Paris I am not so sure.

Today feels like a Monday to many. 
If you are one who, like me, enjoyed the festivities of Mardi Gras...

Happy Monday and welcome to a short week!


Rue Mouffetard
75005 Paris



18 comments:

Randy said...

Just like I have always envisioned Paris.

Pet said...

Oh, black and white, looks like old Paris!

Joe said...

A true vintage shot this one Genie.

Virginia said...

It's certainly a familiar sight for me and one I never tire of.
V

Pat said...

I'm just happy it's still a pedestrian street. And remember this photo?

Harriet said...

Love seeing old familiar places! Nice shot.

Malyss said...

The man makes me think of Simenon's Maigret!

Louis la Vache said...

Let's hope it continues not to change. We need the occasional anchor to the past...

winterludes said...

the food was probably better 50 years ago. these restaurants are for tourists only and i don't think it's a great quality. but the place is nice.

Rob Siemann said...

I used to go down this street when I was working in Paris in the 80es. Changed a lot! Some changes were good, some others not so. Amelie Poulain's (the movie)home was in the rue Mouffetard.

My name is Riet said...

Looks like Paris to me.Wonderful.

Alexa said...

I lived near here in the '60s, and when I walk down this street now (especially early in the morning when it's quiet like this), I feel like I've stepped back in time—I almost expect to look in a shop window and see the reflection of young me!

AL said...

All we need now is the smell of coffee, a chanteuse and we have stepped back in time. Beautiful B&W picture.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Alexa, you are still young! Winterludes, I agree that there are many places geared to the unwary tourist, but there are some along this street that attract the locals.

Rob, I need to find the Amelie (film) home on this famous street.

Bises,
Genie

Anonymous said...

It certainly looks like a typical street scene to me. I wish we had more brick covered streets in the US...so very French!

Pat Tillett said...

This is the type of view that we don't have anywhere in the U.S. Too bad... Nice shot!

James said...

Very timeless. I love photos like this.

Red_Cardinal said...

Attendez Monsieur Maigret!