Monday, August 9, 2010

The Escalator Happy Dance


This adorable child is laughing with me! Of course, there is a story....


The background:

As you may know, there are many steps in the Paris Métro -- up, down, around... Some Métro stops are huge and have many iterations of "up and down and around" before it is possible to either transfer or to exit to the street level. Since my first visit to Paris, I have done a little happy dance when I find an escalator. Specifically, I fling my arms into the air (as if my team has just scored) just as I step onto the escalator. Most of the time there is a little joyous shout (woooh-hoooo) and waving of arms. It is just my little "meep" of happiness to have found the electric steps that save my tired body.


The story:

As I stepped on the escalator to exit Métro Sèvres-Babylone, I turned to share my "escalator happy dance" with a mom and two children who laughed with me all the way to the top. Sometimes, the crazy American CAN get a petite Parisienne to smile.


The commentary:

This behavior does warrant some stern stares and I do tone it down a bit in the more chi-chi areas of Paris, but lighten up, people. It will keep you young!
Merci, Shell, for adding "meep" to my vocabulary!

12 comments:

M said...

Woo-hoo indeed! You really captured her -- I can almost hear their giggles.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

M -- and you can vouch for the escalator happy dance, n'est-ce pas?!

M said...

mais oui!

Virginia said...

I love this so much! Good for you for getting her smile! Lord I do love a Metro escaltor but they are few and far between. They could use a few at Chatelet.....The Metro Stop From Hell!

Virginia said...

Pardon! But I must point out that I had to look up the definition of the ENGLISH version of our Word of the Day! Good grief.

M said...

Virginia -- what an acidulous comment :-)

I agree, although I knew the meaning, I would prefer common words that are more likely to be used!

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

V, I think that the FWOTD had a "lame post" today. They must have run out of "regular" words or had a "guest worder" -- Definitely lame.

Unknown said...

Wonderful portrait and a funny story to go with! :-)

Alexa said...

You're 3 times fortunate, Genie: You have a happy dance, you found a reason to use it, and best of all you were able to share it with an appreciative Parisian audience. I like your style!

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Alexa -- There is nothing quite like being so tired and turning the corner to find the "long stairway to heaven," the moving steps to transport you up so effortlessly! Merci!

Shell Sherree said...

Hee, what a wonderful story, Genie, and photo to match! And I'm chuffed that you have taken meep to heart ~ what fun. Merci to you, Genie!

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Shell -- You will have to tell me more of the background on "meep" -- Merci!