Friday, July 23, 2010

La fontaine Médicis -- A quiet place


After Starman's request to feature Catherine de Médicis' fountain in Jardin du Luxembourg, I wondered if I would risk saying that it is my favorite "quiet place" in Paris. A risk, because with each trip to Paris comes the discovery of new favorites and wondering if at some point in the future I would have to toss this special place aside for un nouveau endroit. Certainly someone will remind me if/when that time comes. Hummm, a dilemma.


This is not a secret place but mostly a quiet, shaded, cool space in the enormous, multi-faceted Jardin du Luxembourg. The fountain is found just east of the Sénat with the closest entrance at Place P. Claudel. The long basin of water is shaded by a canopy of plane trees, inviting a contemplative atmosphere. The familiar green chairs line the two sides of the basin backed by a screen of draped green garlands, shielding the scene from the less serene areas of the park seen here.


I will bring you back here again, but will leave you with this thought. This is my favorite quiet place in Paris. There now-- I've said it.

8 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

une image très belle

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Brittany -- Merci, and the touch of "red" in le photo is courtesy of a tourist. I have other photos but this one shows both the detail of the fountain and the cloistered feel of the area.

hollyb said...

It's my favorite quiet spot in Paris as well. I'm often surprised that in the heat of the summer there aren't more people cooling off and enjoying les poisson-rouge, mais tant-pis for them!

Will now be thinking of this lovely spot and it's calming effect through the rest of my hectic workday. Merci!

M said...

Moi aussi ... I have to agree that this is my favorite spot, too. Soothing and secluded and providing an exquisite work of art to study from all angles. Merci Catherine for the fountain and merci beaucoup Genie for the photo.

Virginia said...

Genie, sadly I must say that it was NOT my favorite QUIET place when I visited last summer. It was overrun by les touistes all elbowing each other out of the way so they could have their photos taken with the fountain BEHIND them. As a result, I don't have this fabulous shot that you captured. I had to worm my way around to the side of the fountain and snap one. As you know tourists that feel compelled to pose themselves in front of every great piece of artwork or monument or fountain in Paris is a pet peeve of mine. I do chuckle to myself when I envision their photo album: My Trip To Paris ,( only you can't see anything but ME in a zillion silly poses!)

Starman said...

I'm surprised to see that this is also the favorite spot of so many others. Unlike Virginia, when I was there in the summer (2008 it was rather cool) I didn't have to fight through tourists. We were the only ones there.

Alexa said...

It's my favorite too (at least when it is like this and not as Virginia found it). Thanks to Starman for requesting and to you for providing!

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Holly and M -- Let's go back soon. I'll bring the beverage!

Virginia -- This picture was taken mid-June (as you know) and I think that the cooler weather encouraged most to sit in the sun around the crowded basin. You must give it another try.

Starman -- Maybe I saw you there in 2008 -- It was not crowded then either.

Alexa -- Glad that you like it too. Even when the jardin is full of Parisians and tourists, this area is always at a low decibel.