Sunday, August 7, 2011
This unusual church made of reinforced cement between 1894 and 1904 sits at the foot of Montmartre across from Place des Abbesses. The organ was built by the famous Cavaillé-Coll in 1852 for a church in Lyon and later moved here. This Art Nouveau style church was one of the first to use concrete, brick, and ceramics as building materials. It has been the center of much architectural controversy over the years.
The photo is one of two angels gracing the front entry.
Église Saint Jean de Montmartre
19, rue des Abbesses