Monday, August 19, 2013

Hôpital Saint-Louis



2011 0417 DSC_0185

Hôpital Saint-Louis


Just a stone's throw from Canal Saint-Martin is this 17th century hospital, 
built when the outbreak of plagues threatened the city, overwhelming the main hospital.  


"Contained within a square court and enclosed by a wall with four corner pavilions, the brick and stone cloister-like construction was intended to keep personnel in and to thus confine the contagion, isolating illness pavilion by pavilion." (Five Hundred Buildings of Paris, Kathy Borrus)


It functions today as part of the  
Assistance publique - Hôpitaux de Paris hospital system.



Hôpital Saint-Louis
40, rue Bichat between rue de la Grange-aux-Belles, rue Juliette-Dodu,
rue Alibert, and avenue Claude Vellefaux
75010, Paris
Métro Goncourt

12 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

Interesting about the brick information, I didn't know that!
Great picture!
Léia

Joe said...

Wow Genie. Your composition certainly amplifies the height of these buildings.

Hilda said...

I wouldn't have recognized this handsome building as a hospital if you didn't say so. How wonderful! I hope the facilities inside are fully modern and state-of-the art.

Daryl said...

oooh adding the 10th to my next visit .. we should talk ... i would love to go back in late fall or early winter if you're up for it

Jeanie said...

Interesting! What a gorgeous place!

Malyss said...

Very old Paris is my favorite part of the city!

Paulita said...

I don't think I'd want to stay in a hospital built to fight the plague. Guess I don't have to worry about it though. Interesting history and shot. Want to play along with dreaming of France today? Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

Alexa said...

Don't really want to find out firsthand, but I imagine it was not easy turning a 17th-century hospital into a facility to suit current times. It's a beautiful building.

Mary said...

Fascinating architecture! And again, so much history. :)

Randy said...

I hate hospitals but this one is beautiful.

Unknown said...

What a magnificent building -- even if it is a hospital!! I don't like them either!! Marvelous capture as always, Genie! Hope your week is going well!
Hugs
Sylvia

Starman said...

I've never been in this hospital, but for two weeks, I was in the oldest hospital in Paris. You could feel the age but the service and the staff were absolutely first class.