Sunday, January 19, 2014

Église Saint-Louis des Invalides - l'orgue



Saint-Louis des Invalides


The design of this elaborate, ornate organcase is attributed to Jalues Hardouin-Mansart.  It is the only representative of the Louis-XIV era among the organs of Paris.


The instrument was built by Alexandre Thierry (1687).  Major revisions were carried out in the mid 1800s and more recently in 1957.  The organ is not the most ornate aspect of this mostly white and gilt church.  It is not my favorite but I can appreciate the detail as well as the sounds that are brought forth.


bon dimanche



Église Saint-Louis des Invalides
Les Invalides
75007, Paris

12 comments:

Louis la Vache said...

This is one of the many places in Paris that Louis went by many times but never explored...(sigh)

Starman said...

I think I was there for a performance once, but really can't remember.

Cezar and Léia said...

Organs of medieval churches are usually nice but this one really stands out! Impressive, fantastic!
God bless you!
Cezar

Revrunner said...

Having myself been responsible for a pipe organ for many years, I can only imagine the difficulties that whoever is responsible for this instrument must be facing with the last renovation having taken place in 1957!

M said...

Quite dazzling ... I would love to hear it.

Jeanie said...

How majestic! I'd love to hear it with all the stops out!

Merisi said...

A beautiful photograph of an extraordinary organ!

Alexa said...

Gorgeous -- and I'd love to hear it too.

Randy said...

I would not want to polish those pipes.

Jack said...

Do you think those hunky guys down below get tired of holding up all of those pipes?

Deb said...

Reminds me of the evil organ in Disney's Beauty And The Beast Christmas Special.......

William Kendall said...

It is spectacular to behold.