Thursday, February 26, 2015

Niki de Saint-Phalle - arbre de vie-fontaine



Tree of life,
fountain of serpents
Grand Palais


Niki de Saint-Phalle's mosaic fountain 
was placed in the center of François-Raoul Larche's 
Fontaine Miroir d'eau for the duration of  the Grand Palais exhibit.  
It is an interesting juxtaposition of the marble fountain created in 1910 
and the colorful serpent fountain of 1987.


The exhibit has been moved now to the Guggenheim Bilbao (Spain), 
February 27 - June 11, 2015.
There are other examples of her work in Paris.
Does this resemble the Stravinsky Fountain?




Niki de Saint-Phalle
Du 17 septembre 2014 au 2 février 2015
Galeries nationales du Grand Palais
75008, Paris

8 comments:

Joe said...

I must admit I prefer the old marble fountain rather than those colourful entwined serpents Genie.

Jeanie said...

When I first saw it, I did think it was the Stravinski but I couldn't synch up the background. I am inclined to agree with Joe -- at least in the context. I might like it much more in a different, more contemporary environment!

William Kendall said...

Rather otherworldly!

RedPat said...

It reminded me of the Stravinsky Fountain.

Alexa said...

The fountain is a bit schizo—but I loved the exhibit, didn't you?

Randy said...

Not something I would want in my garden.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Alexa, I agree that it is a bit schizo, but the exhibit was amazing.

RedPat, Niki and her husband are the collaborating artists of the Stravinsky Fountain.

Randy, my husband would agree with you - We have discussions before I add art in our woods and forest.

Jeanie and Joe - yes, it is a bit strong, and definitely out of place within the marble fountain. I am glad that it is not a permanent installation, but only temporary. However, the juxtaposition of the two fountains was artistically interesting. By now, the Niki-fountain has moved on.

William, definitely!

Bises,
Genie

Jack said...

My artistic tastes are usually fairly conservative, but I like the colorful nature of this sculpture.