Sunday, September 8, 2013

Basilique Saint-Denis - VIII



2012 Jan 12 3rd_0071


Basilique Saint-Denis
the crypt


Basilique Saint-Denis is the burial place of French Kings, 
with nearly every king from the 10th to the 18th centuries being buried here, 
as well as many from previous centuries.  
The Revolution and other period of unrest and war 
saw the mutilation and mishandling of many bodies.


There are many tombs under the canopy 
of grand arches and majestic windows, 
but the crypt seen here is much more somber.  
I would not want to be here during a thunderstorm 
or to experience a loss of power.  
The darkness would be overpowering


bon dimanche



Basilique Saint-Denis
93200 Saint-Denis

9 comments:

Randy said...

Nice composition.

Rob-bear said...

What a delightful picture. The play of light and dark, form and colour!

Blessings and Bear hugs. Et bon dimanche!

M said...

Love the way the darkness leads to light and the contrast of the dark chandelier with the one that is lit.

Starman said...

It's eerie even with the lights on!

Sylvia K said...

Great shot/composition! I, too, really like the play of light and dark! Hope you've had a lovely weekend, Genie!
Hugs
Sylvia

Alexa said...

I was going to say something along the lines of what everyone else has said, so I'll just say that I like this shot a LOT! Bon dimanche, Genie --

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

This photo just took my breath away.

It was so nice to see your most kind comment for Matilda and Phoebe. Thank you so much. I truly enjoyed creating them. I will really miss Matilda.
fondly,
Penny

Paulita said...

I can almost feel the cool, dank air in this photo. Great shot. Want to play along with Dreaming of France? Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

Louise said...

I went to Basilique St Denis on my last trip in July. It was a very hot afternoon and the crypt was so cool and quiet, I lingered more than I would have otherwise. Thanks for reminding me.